Saturday, May 10, 2014

Chef's Gala Saturday

Saturday morning began with, you guessed it...a cup of strong coffee. I dashed off to the Cress Kitchen to continue the "Tamale Project". By noon, I had made about 450 portions of pork belly tamales with Oaxacan Mole, Smoked Poblano and Cilantro Crema, Grilled Corn Pico deGallo, and Purple Basil grown by Ben Walter of Hermitage Farms who also collaborates with us on our Food Waste Program at Cress. Thanks to my sous chef Derek Peters for helping me with some last minute prep and I was loaded using William Jansik's cooler to make the trek to the EPCOT World Showcase for the 22nd Annual Chef's Gala benefiting the Heart of Florida United Way. I got lost getting there, but eventually made it. Ryan Handberg and I got through the night where it seemed like the lines were 30 deep most of the night. It was a good old fashioned culinary spanking, but I think the guests enjoyed the flavour profile of my dish. At least there was zero waste as everything was consumed.

Load up and clean-up were easy. I was back in DeLand by 11:30 pm. Exhausted, beat-up, but feeling like I had accomplished something by helping raise money for a good cause. Jenneffer and I had leftovers and half a glass of wine each from a bottle which was left over from Cress. Nothing we paid for.


Chef's Gala Dish: Pork Belly Tamal, Oaxacan Mole, Smoked Poblano and Cilantro Crema, Grilled Corn Salsa
-Hari


No comments:

Post a Comment